Sunday, June 22, 2008

[OT] 24 - Alternative Visions: Esther, Ruth, and Jonah

I must admit that I'm about three lectures behind.  Something about summer vacationing, I suppose. :-)  But I intended to finish this  rewarding set of lectures in the coming weeks.

This is the last of the lectures.  Thanks to those who motivated me to go through this, and those who've shared insights and thoughts with me, and to the list.

I am finishing up some notes on a book on the 1st chapters of Genesis and will post some of those notes.  I hope everyone feels free to share thoughts, ask questions, or otherwise make use of this list.

If you are about to read a book of the Old Testament, I'd recommend listening to, or reading the associated lecture from this series in order to enhance your experience.

- ClairB

Lecture 24 - Alternative Visions: Esther, Ruth, and Jonah

Overview:

In this lecture, two final books of the Bible are examined and their attitudes towards foreign nations compared. In contrast to Daniel's reliance on divine intervention to punish the wicked, the book of Esther focuses on human initiative in defeating the enemies of Israel. Finally, the book of Jonah--in which the wicked Assyrians repent and are spared divine punishment--expresses the view that God is compassionate and concerned with all creation. Professor Hayes concludes the course with remarks regarding the dynamic and complex messages presented in the Hebrew Bible.    

Reading assignment:

Bible:
(1) Introduction to Esther (JSB pp. 1198-9), Esther 1-9
(2) Introduction to Ruth (JSB pp. 1578-9), Ruth 1-4
(3) Introduction to Jonah (JSB pp. 1623-5), Jonah 1-4
(4) "The Religion of the Bible" (JSB pp. 2021-2040)

"Apocalypses." In The Anchor Bible Dictionary (pp. 279-288) 

Class lecture:



No comments: